Thursday, April 8, 2010

An Ode to Roommates


Ok so as I write this I am super bummed that my girls aren't going to make it this weekend from the other side of the state for our roommate reunion. Luckily it will happen in the next month. :) They are great girls and I am super stoked to see them again! So with this roommate reunion I have been thinking a lot about my past roommates. Now I have had a lot of experience with roommates...53 different experiences that is. Yep that is right...From the time that I moved out when I was 18 till now I have lived with 53 different girls. Good news is that I have met some super awesome people in that group. Even better is that I have learned a lot from all of them. Now things weren't always rainbows and butterflies...actually all 53 could probably tell you that I have annoying habits (namely that I hate and I mean super hate doing dishes) But we had some good times too! Here are some of my favorite roommate moments. (In no particular order)

The Exercise Ball : Who knew that such a simple thing could be so fun! We had a big blue exercise ball that kicked around our apartment for months. One day someone decided that it would be a great idea to pick it up and run after someone and bounce off of them. We then learned that if you started at opposite ends of the room and ran full blast at each other that you could get a really good bounce and fly in opposite directions. It sounds kind of retarded but seriously...one day when you are bored give it a try you will love it. (throw in a gray DI "rat suit" and man it's a party)

Apartment 56: I can't narrow it down to just one experience here. We had some fun times... whether it be the ice cream fight (i shudder thinking about ice cream in my hair, ears...well pretty much everywhere) or singing that Jessica Simpson song at the top of our lungs or fatty mcfat fat night when the sofa broke. Or the massive water balloon fight across the knoll. Or all of our weird untalent show "talents". Man...those were some good times!

The Revolving Door House: Oh man... what was it like 12 roommates in 6 months...phew...yeah... The wicker wonder. (what 25 year old actually shares a room and in that shared room has a day bed with a "tundra" bed...oh wait! I did) Getting all dressed up and then chicken-ing out of the ward prom so we ended up going to macey's instead and playing with toys and making mega nachos and watching a movie. Ahhh...Good times.

The Living Room Fort/Grey's Anatomy Marathon: Cinnamon Tree round 2. We built this amazing fort that seriously took up our entire living room. It was deluxe accommodations with mattresses and everything. Then once we built it I traded in a bunch of my movies to buy the seasons of Grey's Anatomy from f.y.e and we spent a some days watching them in our fort and eating ice cream. Weird? Yes. Fun. Yes!

I know that there were many, many more fun times....anyone reading that wants to post some go ahead...I love it!

But what I really want to convey in this post is that I have learned so much from everyone that I have lived with. I was talking to one of my former roommates the other day and you know there are some people that are just your "gente" they get you. You get them. I love how you can call, chat, text or whatever and just pick up where you left off. I am forever grateful for all those girls that loved me in spite of my faults. Taught me how to live with people and get along with people that weren't raised in the sticks with all brothers...and more than anything gave me a chance to have "sisters" I love you girlies and miss you all!

2 comments:

Tiffany Hortin said...

Some of my memories . . .
*Our Crazzzzy rap we made up ( I would have posted the words but I cannot find them.)
*Steeling the couch from the boys. *The Blades of glory posters that were put all over our windows and front door by the boys.
*dances with the glow sticks
*the nerd intruduction

Brian and Heather said...

I've been thinking a lot about David Bowie lately.


The dog, not the creeper.